Sunday, March 23, 2008

Thing # 18

Like others have stated, OpenOffice took a while to download. I must have missed the boat. I always have a difficult time getting started on these new tools. I watched the demonstration and saw how the presentation was a lot like power point in MS. I have not mastered that yet and now I am trying something new. ARGGGGHH! I like the fact that it is FREE! The price of Microsoft is steep and this is a great alternative to do word processing, presentations or spreadsheets. The time learning the new “software is not worth it at this time. I’m glad to know it exists however.
Now GoogleDocs is fantastic. I already made a spreadsheet. I am very familiar with Excel so that wasn’t a stretch. I made it for a family trip we are taking and kind of put our itinerary on there. I put choices of excursions for each port that each family might not have researched yet. It is much like a wiki that others can access and share information. I will use this much more. Again, the downside for students is that they have to register. But the upside is they can access it from home, school or any computer. I think it is a great resource. Google is amazing and FREE!

No comments: