Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thing # 5

Alright, when I started thinking of Microblogging, of course Twitter came to mind. I am not one to text everything I am doing, but I see some uses for the library. If students wanted to know about book fair, new resources, Family Library night, or even just school updates, this would be a fast, easy tool to consider.

However, my middle school students are all about their My Space accounts. I really am interested in making book clubs in the library during advisory this year. Who knows, maybe I will even get a group to join a book club group on their My Space account. Then we can discuss the book in between meetings.
The microblogging that intrigued me the most was the back channeling. I see tons of uses for this in schools. I went to TodaysMeet. I signed in and saw how easy this could be to set up. I think students would love this type of tool. It would keep the students engaged and accountable. I like that you can print the transcript at the end of the presentation.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I'm like you. I have a Facebook account but I visit maybe once a week. I don't feel the need to notify everyone about what I'm doing every second of my day. I have better things to do. I too was intrigued by the back channeling to hold kids accountable, provide a bit more comfort for the more shy kids, and to be able to look at comments at a later time especially if i know time is a factor for lessons. I really want to incorporate this tool this school year.