Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thing #6

YEAH-something I am familiar with. The I-touch is awesome. Kids love them and the apps are simple to download. There are so many apps from educational to recreational. I could literally spend days checking them out. Always something new.
In the library last year and we used them mainly as recreation. Ocassionally we used the internet. Some students actually preferred them to using the macbooks.
I think students would be able to do their podcasts, wikis and research easily together. I just have trouble with the size. My fingers are too fat and my eyes aren't what they used to be.

4 comments:

VWB said...

Any sites in particular draw your attention. We are still trying to build a good list.

jlfoster said...

My last contract day in the library I learned something that perhaps you already knew: you can synch purchased apps to all the iTouches in the library for 1 fee! Purchase it using the mac that you do the regular synching sessions and then just make sure it is selected when doing the regular synching. To get the money to use to purchase the apps I used a small amount of the lost book money and bought a $15 itunes card at Walgreens. My teachers are going to love this. I read recently in SLJ (I think) of a number of Science apps that are good for middle school.

Mimi said...

I wish we could use our iTouches in our classrooms, but we're not allowed to check them out of the library. Hopefully the next grant I write will get me some specifically for my classroom. I also have trouble with the size of the screen at times and the kids do too. The newest laptops we have have a screen size of about 7 inches and when the kids are actually typing and working their face is so close to the screen. Maybe iPads are the way to go, but they are so expensive for the classroom.

Goody2Shoes said...

I wrote down some from the T3 conference I went to last week. I'll share when I get home with my notes.